IN THE SPOTLIGHT
Call for Applications - BBC Media Workshop for Belarusian Journalists
The BBC is organicing a series of workshops for media professionals in Belarus, as part of the EU-funded Media Neighbourhood Project, in the areas of professional journalism, new media and management.
The five-day workshops will be led by senior journalists and highly-experienced trainers from the BBC, AFP and the other international media organisations in the consortium. The training will be practical and hands on.
The deadline for applications is 1 April 2013.
Those applying should select one of the three workshops available. If the course organisers are unable to offer applicants their first choice, they may offer a place on one of the other courses.
The courses are:
1) BBC News Reporting Course 22–24 April 2013 or 15-17 May 2013 (TBC)
• Making stories relevant and engaging for the audience
• Understanding the EU and its relationship with its neighbours
• Journalistic ethics
• Effective news gathering
• Professional interviewing techniques
2) Multi-Platform Ethical Journalism - 21–25 October 2013 (TBC)
• Basics of multi-platform journalism
• Creating professional content for on-line
• Techniques of mobile reporting
• Ethics and responsibilities of on-line journalism
• Citizen journalism
• Building on-line communities, involving the audience
• Search Engine Optimization
• Blogging, Social Media and Online Curation.
3) Media Managers and Senior Editors on Professional and Financial Independence - 14–18 October 2013 (TBC)
• Business planning
• Strategic marketing
• Developing practical tools - mechanics of selling advertising preparing price lists, negotiation techniques
• Effective broadcast scheduling
• Managing multi-platform content
• Newsroom management, including integrated newsrooms
• Foreign desk management
• EU and its policies towards your country and region
• HR development
• Winning donor grants and project management
Applicants are invited to send a CV and a letter outlining their experience and suitability to email@example.com by 1 April 2013. They should specify the course they are applying for.
Media Neighbourhood is a three-year training programme for journalists, editors and managers from broadcast, print and online. It is funded by the European Union and delivered by a consortium led by BBC Media Action.
The programme has two main aims:
• To strengthen the professional capacity of journalists, particularly in the areas of media independence and online media.
• To improve the reporting of EU social, economic and political policies within the Middle East, Eastern Europe and Caucasus.
Media Neighbourhood is one of three projects funded under the EU's Regional Communication Programme.